Driving in Europe

If you are planning a trip to Europe, you will generally find that your insurance company will have provided you with the minimum amount of insurance that you actually need. However it is best to contact your insurance company before you embark on your journey in order to establish what you are actually covered for.

Your car insurance company will also provide you with a green card. This is an internationally recognized standard which is used as proof that you meet the local insurance standards. This card should be free, and should be kept in your possession everywhere you travel.
It is also advisable to check with your insurance company any adjustments that should be made to your car. For example you may need to get your headlights adjusted to dip to the right, and in some companies it is a legal requirement that you carry a first aid kit.

Should you be involved in an accident whilst in Europe, the procedure of exchanging personal and insurance details is generally the same.